Betsy the Wellbeing Dog has arrived at Knockhall Primary School !
Welcome to Betsy !
Betsy, Knockhall's wellbeing school dog, is a beagle and lives with Mrs Sterne. She comes in to school every day to be alongside the children.
There are many benefits of having a school dog, as detailed below:
· A calming effect on pupils;
· Improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem;
· Encouraging expression, participation and confidence for all children;
· Fostering a sense of responsibility;
· Motivating pupils to think and to learn;
· Developing an enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals;
· Encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers;
· Teaching children to nurture and respect life;
· Helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children;
· Helping children build confidence in reading;
· Improving attendance;
· Helping overcome a fear of dogs;
· Developing the understanding of unconditional love;
· Supporting with the development of cooperative play;
· Supporting children to develop empathy;
· Further promote our well being agenda for pupils.
All children have been taught how to approach Betsy, using the ‘Approach, Ask, Pet, Goodbye’ method. If you would like more information on this, then please ask at the school office.
We look forward to sharing Betsy’s news with you all !