The Trust and University of Greenwich work in partnership to provide initial teacher training. Training is delivered directly from the university as well as training programme which is devised by each school in response to the development needs of trainee teachers.
Our partnership follows the School Direct salaried route. Salaried route students qualify with qualified teacher status (QTS).
- Each ITT student and NQT that joins the Trust support each school’s development priorities.
- Contribute to the school improvement plan in order to achieve KPIs/targets.
- Have an effective system of support that ensures that they successfully pass their ITT/NQT year at a high standard with a clear understanding of Teacher Standards.
- Consistency in assessment procedures across WAT – ITT (TIP) and NQT (Termly reports).
- ITT/NQTs and Mentors across WAT that secure high quality provision through regular self-reflection and evaluations of practice.
- Network across Trust to support each other in their professional development priorities.
- Passionate teachers committed to remaining within their original school/WAT school so that they can progress within the teaching and learning pathways - high levels of retention.
Further information about each of these roles can be found within the University of Greenwich “Essentials” Start-Up Guide which is issued on an annual basis.
Our Trainee Teachers' Journey
Bradley Harris, School Direct
Trainee Teacher – my journey
The Woodland Academy Trust School Direct training programme has been an absolutely brilliant way of becoming a teacher. The experience you get is invaluable, largely to the sheer amount of time you spend in school, by the end of the year the class really feels like yours! The level of support available was outstanding, it enabled me to thrive and focus on my strengths and also areas of development. The quality of lectures and workshops has been amazing and the friends and memories I have made will stay with me forever. Teaching is a fabulous career and I cannot thank the Woodland Academy Trust enough for allowing me this opportunity.
Thomas Skinner, School Direct
Trainee Teacher – my journey
I chose to study with the Woodland Academy Trust as they were very welcoming, friendly and inclusive. When I visited the schools in the trust, I got a real sense of a passion and commitment to the children and learning which was really exciting. I also wanted to study with University of Greenwich as they were highly recommended for pedagogical development and I had gained my original degree with them.
School Direct has been a fantastic route into teaching. The amount of real, hands-on experience you get is incredible and the class really becomes your own. I had an amazing Year group of teachers and TAs in Year 2 at Knockhall who really encouraged me, built my confidence and embraced me as an important part of the family. I found a massive amount of support from the other students and colleagues across the Trust, some of whom have become close friends and I know are willing to support me all the way.
I am looking forward to the challenge of having my own Year 1 class and excited to continue my experience and career development.